Sunday, January 5, 2014

PRECIOUS TREASURES



As we walk through this thing called life, we collect these things we call “Precious Treasures.” Everyone’s treasures are different. Some are memories that no one can ever take away.  Some are items that get handed down generation after generation.

Two of my precious treasures come from my grandmothers; Nell Beatrice Maggard and Margaret Lil Nazario. From Grams (Nell) I have what I call a trinket dresser. I know that's not what the true name of this type of dresser is but, it's what I call it. It’s about 5 feet tall and 2 feet wide (if that) with 6 drawers.  It’s not large enough to really store clothing in, so I store things that warm my heart. (Confession…not all the drawers warm my heart) A couple drawers happen to store the things I don’t take time to find a real place for. Those drawers are known as the “catch all” drawers.

However, a few of the drawers hold the most precious treasures that warm my heart...
·        One drawer consists of my favorite scented candles.
·    Another holds a little red musical car that plays the Sesame Street theme. It belonged to Tyler as an infant. Also, in that same drawer is a little lamb that plays music when you pull the string. It, too, was Tyler’s. Both items are 24 years old and they both still work.
·        In the 5th drawer down there are 3 tiny, like new, night gowns, 1 dress slip (a silky thing woman wore under their dresses, years ago, to keep static cling away) and 2 pair of socks. These items belonged to my grandma Lil, also known as G.G. because she was Tyler’s great grandma. What I love about this drawer is the fact that Julianne, my niece, and Corey, my 2nd cousin (daughter of Skip Willis) each under the age of 10, have had the opportunity to wear those night gowns. How many grand children can say they have worn their great grandma’s night gown? Now I know many people might think this to be weird…but let me tell you…those girls love the fact they have gotten to wear G.G.’s gowns. And to me, that’s truly a precious treasure that’s been shared with generations.

Some things you just hold near and dear. What and where are your precious treasures?

Blessings,
Bo

01/05/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment