Saturday, January 18, 2014

UNDER PRESSURE

Recently, I’ve had some things that have tested my heart. Things that made me feel like a pressure cooker ready to explode. Unfortunately, someone didn’t loosen the steam valve and all that chaos under pressure – exploded. That someone was ME!

Now, I don’t know if you’re familiar with or have ever cooked with a pressure cooker. I, personally, have never cooked with a pressure cooker but grew up with my mom cooking with them so I understand how they work.

It’s a different type of pot. When you lock the lid in place there is a rubber seal that becomes the barrier holding the pressure built from steam between the pot and the lid. On top of the lid there is a little pressure valve that needs to be adjusted to allow the steam to release. Depending on what’s cooking the speed of the steam being released is mark by a tick…tick…tick…rattle sound. However, if you don’t loosen that tiny valve on top that pressure will build inside and at some point release itself by LITERALLY by blowing the lid off the pot! The lid just isn’t capable of holding all that pressure – it builds and just becomes too much for the pot and lid to contain.

There were a lot of circumstances that I was “cooking in my pressure cooker.” Unlike one BIG thing that might cause you to blow; there were several things happening at the same time:
            *someone hurt their back
           *insurance didn’t cover some medical expenses
*serious health issues with a dear friend – with no insurance. So why was I fretting over a minor bill my insurance didn’t cover?
*…and the list goes on…

Scripture tells us in James 1:2-4Consider it pure joy, brothers and sisters, when you face trials of many kinds. Because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.

Although, I “thought” I was finding joy during trials and circumstances, deep within I wasn’t releasing my troubles or pressures to God.

That pot and lid….resemble our body and mind.
The contents within the pot….resemble every day “life” circumstances.
The pressure….resembles the tension building inside.
The valve….resembles our relationship with God.
If we don’t have that open relationship the contents will create the pressure and the pressure will become so unbearable we explode.

As flesh we are not created to control, nor handle, all that pressure. You’ve heard the day old saying “Don’t sweat the small stuff” …well, DON’T! 
All that small stuff will build inside and at some point blow the lid off.
I know you’ve heard the saying…  SHE HAS FLIPPED HER LID!
I just wonder…what did you envision when you hear that statement? I always envisioned a pressure cooker exploding.

Every person’s pressures are different.
Every person handles pressure differently.
But, God wants us to call on Him to help us during these trials.
He promises if we seek Him we will find Him.
He tells us to have the faith of the tiniest of seeds. The Mustard Seed.

Matthew 17:20…  He said, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.

Proverbs 3:5-6…  Trust in the Lord with all your heart; don’t rely on your own understand. Seek Him in all you do and He will lead your path.

2 Chronicles 15:2…  The Lord will stay with you as long as you stay with Him! Whenever you seek Him, you will find Him. If you abandon Him, He will abandon you.

So, what’s cooking in your pot?
Did you remember to open the valve?
God’s waiting to hear your…tick…tick…tick…rattle.

Blessings,
Bo
1/18/2014







2 comments:

  1. This is a great analogy! Keep writing...Are you networking w/other bloggers?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't. Actually I didn't even realize you could until this afternoon when a friend started her blog and I went snooping around. Being technology challenged (LOL) it will take me a bit to master exactly how to do it. I do know I can open my blog for other inspirational bloggers to add their blog...just gotta figure it all out. Any suggestions please let me know! Oh, and I'm patiently waiting for you to start your very own blog.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete